Getting my sea legs
September 14, 2009
Well, I’ve officially been at sea for a week now. So much has happened:
- The crew has found plastic in every single sample of seawater they’ve taken
- Jeff caught our first fish-a 27” Mahi Mahi
- I’ve been able to take underwater photographs of a floating yellow crate from Korea and a 55 gallon plastic barrel
- The crew has retrieved over ten different abandoned buoys of all shapes and sizes
- I interviewed Moore about the trip and what he hopes will happen to the garbage patch in the future, (will include comments from the interview in future posts).
- We lost a flow meter (the flow meter is attached to the manta trawl and measures how much water the manta samples)
- Bonnie started fishing for plastic with a net from the bow. In ten minutes she found a handful of tiny plastic pieces.